Latest Police Statements Following Incident at Manchester Arena

Friday, June 2, 2017

Police investigating the attack at the Manchester Arena are continuing to track the movements of Salman Abedi between 18 and 22 May, and have located a car on Devell Court, not far from Banff Road that we believe may be significant to the investigation. 

Officers are currently at the location and are assessing the car. There is a 100m cordon in place around the Banff Road area, as a precaution, and we are asking people to avoid the area. 

An evacuation is being carried out and we would like to thank those in the local community for their cooperation and understanding.

We are working closely with our partners to ensure public safety and to relocate people while we carry out this precautionary measure to ensure everyone’s safety. 

The Manchester Royal Infirmary will be open as normal, but people are being evacuated from Ronald McDonald House as a precaution.  

Detective Chief Superintendent Russ Jackson said: "This is potentially a significant development in the investigation. The car is a white Nissan Micra that has been located at Devell Court, not far from Banff Road.  

"We are very interested anything people can tell us about the movements of this car, and who was in it, over the past months. We are also interested in any information about who may have had access to the car or who may have gone to and from it.  

"We are really grateful for the public’s continued help in what is a very fast moving investigation and again we appeal for the public to contact us with any information, however small you believe it may be, about Abedi’s movements." 

Anyone with information should call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline in confidence on 0800 789321. If you have any images or footage that you believe can assist us then upload them to Ukpoliceimageappeal.co.uk or Ukpoliceimageappeal 


Monday, May 29, 2017

Detective Chief Superintendent Russ Jackson from the North West Counter Terrorism Unit said:

We continue to track the final movements of Salman Abedi and are particularly interested in his whereabouts between 18 and 22 May 2017.

Today, we are releasing an image of Abedi carrying a distinctive blue suitcase and an image of a replica of the case. We know he visited the Wilmslow Road area of Manchester and was also seen in Manchester city centre with the blue suitcase.

Did you see Abedi with this suitcase between the 18 and 22 May 2017? Where did you see him with it during that time? You may have seen him in the Wilmslow Road area or Manchester city centre with the suitcase or know where the suitcase has been. If you have any details about the suitcase we need you to get in touch and let us know.

We believe Abedi was in possession of this case in the days before the attack at Manchester Arena on Monday 22 May. I want to stress that this is a different item than the one he used in the attack. This image was taken from CCTV in the city centre on 22 May.

We have no reason to believe the case and its contents contain anything dangerous, but would ask people to be cautious. Anybody with information about the whereabouts of the case between 18 and 22 May should call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline in confidence on 0800 789 321.

The public should not approach the case if they see it but contact police immediately on 999.

This remains a live investigation and if you have any images or footage you believe can assist us then please upload them to UKpoliceimageappeal.co.uk or UKpoliceimageappeal.com as soon as you can.

Released at 2pm

Officers investigating the attack on the Manchester Arena are searching a site in Pilsworth, Bury.

The search is currently on-going.

Released at 1pm:

GMP is aware of CCTV footage that has been obtained by a media outlet. We have now obtained a copy of the footage and enquiries are ongoing to establish if it is connected to the investigation into the attack at Manchester Arena.

We urge anyone with footage, images, or information that may be relevant to the investigation to contact police in the first instance.

Anyone with information should call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline in confidence on 0800 789321. If you have any images or footage that you believe can assist us then upload them to Ukpoliceimageappeal.co.uk or Ukpoliceimageappeal.com.

This morning a 23 year old man from Shoreham-by-Sea in Sussex was arrested on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act.

In total 16 people have been arrested as part of the investigation, two of whom have been released without charge.

14 men remain in custody.

Sunday May 28, 2017

GMP city centre team thanks people for support and encourages everyone to see Manchester as ‘open for business’

Following Monday’s attack at Manchester Arena, GMP’s city centre team are thanking the public for the kindness that officers and staff have seen over the past few days and explained how it’s kept everyone going. They’re also encouraging people to stand together to show Manchester is ‘open for business’.

Inspector Phil Spurgeon from GMP’s Manchester City Centre team said:

“It’s great to see so many people coming into the city centre to support these events this weekend, enjoying everything this great city has to offer and showing that people are feeling safe. We have still got an increased police presence, as people would expect, and this will continue through the bank holiday and beyond, ensuring that people do continue to feel safe.

“My officers, as well as those across the Force, have been working long hours since Monday night and, like everyone, they have been greatly affected by what’s happened. However, what’s really helped us through a difficult few days has been the overwhelming support and kindness from the people of Manchester. I want to thank each and every person who has added to this.

“Support has come in many forms, from hugs and kind words to boxes of pizzas being delivered to police stations. Just today, a lady who wanted to do her ‘bit’ for Manchester has arranged for a delivery of 2,400 tea bags to be brought to us to be able to make a warm brew after patrols.

“We can’t accept everything that’s sent to us, of course, but we’re doing our best to thank everyone personally. In addition to this, we’re looking into ways that we can get some of the generous donations to the volunteers who have been working for free since Monday night.

“Regardless of the support that we’re receiving it’s so important that we remember the people who matter most in this – the people who have lost their lives and their loved ones, and the people who were injured. We’re thinking about you all.”


Sunday May 28, 2017

Today, Sunday 28 May 2017, officers investigating the attack at the Manchester Arena have executed a warrant at an address in Moss Side.

A search is currently on-going.

Officers have also arrested a 25-year-old man in the Old Trafford area on suspicion of offences contrary to the terrorism act.

As it stands 14 people in total have been arrested in connection with the investigation, of which two people have since been released without charge.

A total of 12 men remain in custody for questioning.


Saturday, May 27, 2017
From Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins and Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, Senior National Coordinator UK Counter Terrorism Policing
Since Monday night Greater Manchester Police and Counter Terrorism Policing North West have been working closely with the national counter terrorism policing network on what continues to be a large scale and fast-moving investigation.
Today we are releasing an image of Salman Abedi taken from CCTV on the night he committed the attack. We are gathering a detailed picture of Abedi as the investigation develops and now need people to tell us if they have any information about his movements from 18 May when he returned to the UK through to Monday night.
The investigation is making good progress and we know one of the last places Abedi went was the city centre flat and from there he left to make his way to the Manchester Arena. The flat is highly relevant as a location which we believe may be the final assembly place for the device.
We have 14 locations that are still being searched and there are 13 people that have been arrested on suspicion of offences contrary to the Terrorism Act. In total 17 warrants have been carried out mainly across Greater Manchester.
We immediately established full command and control of the incident and within an hour of the attack taking place a specialist counter terrorism control room had been established with a first priority of identifying the attacker. Specialist counter terrorist forensic teams were sent to try and identify the attacker and within two hours his identity was known.  With this information officers could begin to establish his movements to try and understand if anyone else was linked or any more attacks planned.
Firearms officers from across the country were deployed to support Greater Manchester Police colleagues who were already deployed to the area in case of a further attack.
We called in officers from around the national counter terrorism policing network and they quickly arrived from across the UK. By early Tuesday morning there was an established pattern with all officers and staff working on the response to the attack in day and night shifts of approximately 14 hours each.
The whole team are working round-the-clock. We have around 1,000 people involved in the investigation alone. In addition there are hundreds of officers and staff from Greater Manchester Police and other forces involved in the security around Greater Manchester.
In the past five days we have gathered significant information about Abedi, his associates, his finances, the places he had been, how the device was built and the wider conspiracy.  As a result of the arrests and searches which have taken place we now have many further lines of enquiry. We already have more than 1,500 actions we are pursuing.
This is still a live investigation which is not slowing down. Our priorities are to understand the run up to this terrible event and to understand if more people were involved in planning this attack.
Anyone with information should call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline in confidence on 0800 789321. If you have any images or footage that you believe can assist us then upload them to Ukpoliceimageappeal.co.uk or Ukpoliceimageappeal.com

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Greater Manchester Police's Chief Constable Ian Hopkins, said:

“The change in the national threat level from critical to severe does not alter our response to Monday’s horrific attack, which claimed so many innocent lives.

“We have made significant progress in this fast moving and complex investigation, working with the national counter terrorism policing network and UK intelligence partners and securing the arrests of 11 people who remain in custody.

“The level of resources we have available to us remains the same as we continue to take positive action so you will notice additional officers, including armed officers, on patrol especially at a number of events this weekend to ensure the security and safety of everyone but it’s important that people remain alert and vigilant.

“You can report any suspicious activity to police on the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321 or by calling 999.”


Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, National Lead for Counter Terrorism Policing provided an update on the Manchester Investigation and the threat level to the UK from international terrorism being moved from Critical to Severe:

The high pace and rapid progress of this investigation is continuing. There were three more arrests overnight and we now have 11 men in custody. There are now 17 searches either concluded or continuing at various addresses largely in the north west of the country and we are getting a greater understanding of the preparation of the bomb.

There is still much more to do. There will be more arrests and there will be more searches but this greater clarity and this progress has led JTAC – the independent body that assess threat – to come to the judgement that an attack is no longer imminent. And you will have heard consequently the Prime Minister’s announcement that the threat level has moved down from Critical to Severe which of course means that an attack is highly likely.

Members of the public this weekend will be wondering what that means in terms of the events they are going to on this sunny bank holiday weekend. For practical and precautionary reasons we made the decision that the resources we planned for this weekend’s events will continue. So the public will still see that high level of policing presence; some armed, some unarmed.

Once we get past the weekend, we will be looking to step down the extra resources we have had in place over the last week. And the military support we have had in place over the past few days, under Operation Temperer we will start to phase out as well. There are detailed plans in place to ensure a smooth transition from Operation Temperer, and military personnel will remain at readiness to deploy in support of the police should future security situations require.

The last thing I would say to members of the public is that there is still a severe threat level. If you see something you are worried about or know somebody you are worried about don’t hesitate, just ACT. Please call us on the Anti-Terrorism Hotline 0800 789 321.



Friday, May 26, 2017

Latest statement from CT Policing Lead, Mark Rowley (3:15pm)

Following the appalling terrorist attack last Monday night, detectives from the Counter Terrorism Command have been working round the clock as part of a fast paced wide ranging investigation.

Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, national lead for counter terrorism policing, said: "I completely understand the desire for information and answers but it is essential to protect the investigation, so at this stage I will not go into detail. Our aim must be to identify, arrest and put before a court of law those who are responsible - I am confident we will do that. I do not want to provide those people with any advantage allowing them to destroy evidence or any opportunity to counter what we have gathered.

"Broadly speaking, as with any investigation of this nature, we are focusing on understanding Abedi's life; forensically examining a number of scenes, reviewing hours of CCTV from the night itself and the hours and before, financial work, communication, digital exhibits, the accounts from hundreds of witnesses and of course enquiries internationally.

"Eight men remain in police custody and we continue to make significant progress."

On Tuesday, 23 May, the threat level to the UK was raised to critical based on an assessment by the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre. Police across the country are planning to deliver an enhanced level of policing throughout the bank holiday weekend.

AC Rowley, added: "Even with all the progress made so far, there still remain important lines of enquiry that will further build our confidence and understanding of the events that led to this ghastly attack. That will enable those who set the threat level to revise their judgment.

"Whilst we remain at critical our aim is simple - we are working with event organisers to advise and support them so everyone in this country can go to the hundreds of events that are on and simply relax and enjoy their bank holiday.

"A complete review of the plans for over 1,300 events across the country has been carried out by specialist security officers and policing has been stepped up.

"There will be extra officers on duty, and that will include hundreds of armed officers. Extra firearms officers have been out on streets because we have backfilled some static guarding posts at key places with military personnel. Their presence at these sites will continue throughout the weekend.

"I would like to thank those military colleagues, who are working hard as part of the UK's policing operation, but also a huge thanks to all those who are working round the clock - those detectives, officers on patrol, support staff, our partners in the security services - to protect our country.

"My request to the public is simple - if this weekend you see something out of place, that causes you concern or raises your suspicions, tell us. If you have those suspicions now about someone - tell us - we will act on all information we are given and together we can defeat terrorism."

Friday, May 26, 2017

Latest Statement from Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins

It has been a challenging week and we are still in the middle of a live investigation. Eight people are in custody aged between 18 and 38. There are still 12 locations that are being searched and activity will continue throughout the weekend. The cordon remains around Manchester Arena.

We have hundreds of officers that are working on this investigation from across the national counter terrorism policing network and we have seized thousands of exhibits that are now being assessed.

Through such a difficult time, we have seen the best from the people of Manchester, who have come together to support each other since the horrific events on Monday night. I have been inspired by their determination, compassion and solidarity that characterises this diverse city.

Manchester is a busy place and this weekend we have the Manchester Games, the Great Manchester Run, the Courteeners concert and the start of Ramadan.  All these events will be taking place and additional officers, including a significant number of armed officers, will continue to be on patrol.

There will be additional security checks at some locations and we would ask people to be patient and work with us to ensure everyone can enjoy these events safely.

Manchester has come together this week and it is important we continue to stand together, particularly in relation to hate filled views that have no place in Greater Manchester.

Sadly, we have seen an increase in reports of hate incidents from 28 on Monday, which is what we receive on an average day, to 56 on Wednesday this week. We can’t directly link these to the events of Monday night and are continuing to monitor the situation.

I have sent a personal message out to all the faith leaders and places of worship today and have thanked them for the support they have shown and stressed that hate crime will not be tolerated.

It is important that people report any incidents so that they can be investigated and we can support victims and their families. They can do this by calling police or using the True Vision online reporting form (www.report-it.org.uk)

Today I have spent time speaking to police officers and staff who were both first on the scene on Monday night and were working at the family reception centre. Along with colleagues from British Transport Police who were among the first on the scene, they acted with remarkable bravery in the face of the atrocity that confronted them.

They have all shown great courage and compassion. Some of them are feeling the effects of the actions they had to take and we are providing them with support as they attempt to come to terms with what they saw.

Finally, it is important to remember that the threat level is still at critical and we do need everyone to remain vigilant in the coming days. I want to thank everyone for their support and patience during the past four days.

Friday, May 26, 2017

Statement from Greater Manchester Police

This morning (Friday, May 26 2017) we have been carrying out searches at an address in the St Helens area of Merseyside.  

These searches are connected to Monday’s attack on the Manchester Arena, but this is a fast moving investigation and we are keeping an open mind at this stage.  

As it stands ten people in total have been arrested in connection with the investigation, of which a man and a woman have since been released without charge. Eight men remain in custody for questioning.


Thursday, May 25, 2017

Latest Statement from Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins

This continues to be a fast-moving investigation and there has been a significant amount of activity taking place throughout the night and this morning. I want to provide you with an update about the progress of the investigation to date. 

You will all be aware that officers are currently responding to an incident in Hulme. A suspicious package has now been deemed safe and the cordon has now been removed. Can I stress at this stage that this incident is not necessarily linked to the wider investigation but I hope people will understand that we will always take any reports seriously. 

As regards the full ongoing investigation we currently have eight people who have been arrested in connection with Monday’s attack. They are all men. A woman who was arrested yesterday has since been released. The arrests have taken place in Manchester, Wigan and Nuneaton. We are now carrying out associated searches at a number of addresses. 

These have been an intense three days for the officers and staff of Greater Manchester Police, along with the National Counter Terrorist Policing Network and UK intelligence services.  

I want to reassure people that the arrests that we have made are significant, and initial searches of premises have revealed items that we believe are very important to the investigation.  

These searches will take several days to complete, as you would expect, therefore there will be some disruption. However, it is important that we continue with these searches. 

Alongside the investigation we have a team of specially trained officers who have been supporting the families of those who tragically lost their lives.  

Last night the family liaison officers shared with them the fact that intelligence had been leaked and published in the New York Times. It is absolutely understandable that this has caused much distress for families that are already suffering terribly with their loss. A statement was issued by the National Counter Terrorism Police Network last night. I do not wish to add anything further to this and I will not be commenting on information sharing arrangements with our international partners. 

It will take some days before formal identification can take place but we are assisting the families who want to provide a tribute to their loved ones. To be clear this is not formal identification and is part of our efforts to support the families. I know how important it is to them that the media are supporting the tributes to their loved ones. 

We have been overwhelmed by the support from members of the public and I would ask for their patience while the investigation continues.  

As this morning’s incident in Hulme shows it remains important for people to continue to be vigilant and report any concerns to us through the Anti-Terrorist Hotline 0800 789321 or to police on 999.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Chief Constable Ian Hopkins, said: “I would like to confirm that we are confident that we have now spoken to all the immediate families of those who sadly died in Monday’s attack and they are all now being supported by specially trained officers.

“Due to the number of victims Home Office port mortems are likely to take between four and five days. After this we will be in a position to formally name the victims with guidance from the Coroner. We have also spoken to all of the families and all of those who are currently lying injured in hospital and are doing all we can to support them.

“You will be aware that the level of activity in this investigation is intense and is continuing at pace. We made three arrests in connection with the attacks overnight and this afternoon we entered an address in Manchester City Centre using a controlled explosion. Officers are currently at the scene but in order to do this safely we briefly had to close a nearby mainline railway, which has now been reopened. Those extensive searches will now continue.

“In totally we currently have four people in custody.

“People will have seen a significant increase in the number of armed officers in Greater Manchester. We have been supported by forces in the North West and beyond in order to do this and this all forms part of our tried and tested plan for a major terrorist incident.

“With the threat level being increased to critical you will be aware that military are supporting policing across the country. This is about using the military across sites in London and elsewhere to free up armed police officers to support police forces.

“There are no military personnel patrolling Manchester but we are therefore able to receive additional armed policing support because of this plan. We are using this to help in our efforts enable the Manchester Games and Manchester 10k to go ahead.

“We are working with event organisers and Manchester City Council to review and enhance our safety and security.”

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Chief Constable Ian Hopkins of Greater Manchester Police said: “This has been the most horrific incident we have had to face in Greater Manchester and one that we all hoped we would never see.

“Families and many young people were out to enjoy a concert at the Manchester Arena and have lost their lives. Our thoughts are with those 22 people that we now know have died, the 59 people who have been injured and their loved ones. We continue to do all we can to support them. They are being treated at eight hospitals across Greater Manchester.

“This is a fast-moving investigation and we have significant resources deployed to both the investigation and the visible patrols that people will see across Greater Manchester as they wake up to news of the events last night. This will include armed officers as people would expect. More than 400 officers have been involved in this operation during the night.

“To remind you, we were called at 10.33pm to reports of an explosion at the Manchester Arena at the conclusion of an Ariana Grande concert. More than 240 calls came in and emergency services were very quickly on scene. Emergency numbers have been established for anyone who is concerned for loved ones who may not have returned home 0800 096 0095.

“We have been treating this as a terrorist incident and we believe that while the attack last night was conducted by one man the priority is to establish whether he was acting alone or as part of a network.

“The attacker is among the 20 who were confirmed to have died at the Arena. We believe the attacker was carrying an improvised explosive device which he detonated causing this atrocity.

“We would ask people not to speculate on his details or to share names. There is a complex and wide ranging investigation underway.

“Our priority is to work with the National Counter Terrorist Policing Network and UK intelligence services to establish more details about the individual who carried out this attack.

“We have received tremendous support from across the police services and partner agencies throughout the night.

“We regularly carry out exercises to test our ability to respond to such incidents and this has ensured a very swift response from local and national agencies. I want to thank all those members of the emergency services and other agencies who have worked tirelessly through the night in very difficult circumstances. Their response has been outstanding.

“There remains a large cordon in place around Manchester Arena and Victoria Train Station which will be in place for some time. The station will remain closed while a detailed forensic search is underway. People should plan their route to work and follow Transport for Greater Manchester for updates on social media.

“Terrorists attempt to disrupt our lives and create distrust and fear in communities. We have a long history in Greater Manchester of communities standing together during difficult times. In the coming days we will be working closely with community leaders to address any issues.

“It is important that we all continue to remain vigilant, but also to go about our daily lives. We would ask people to be alert and report any suspicious activity to police on the Anti-Terrorist Hotline 0800 789321 or dialling 999.

“As people are waking up to this tragic news on what is a sad day for Greater Manchester, the officers and staff from Greater Manchester Police and the other emergency services will continue to do all they can to help get us through the difficult days ahead.”

If you have any images or footage from last night that you believe can assist us then upload them to Ukpoliceimageappeal.co.uk or Ukpoliceimageappeal.com.


Information and links

A link to victim support can also be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/manchester-attack-may-2017-support-for-people-affected

Ofqual has issued a statement on exams: https://mobile.twitter.com/ofqual/status/866932260364312576


Call the confidential hotline on 0800 789 321
In an emergency, always dial 999